Saturday, January 26, 2013

Five Minute Friday - um, Saturday - Again


Topic: Again


The second I read the topic I think, "Yup, again." (sigh.)

I say that word out loud every day.  Generally as a sort of defeated question.  Like the whole roll-the-boulder-up-the-hill-over-and-over-for-all-of-eternity feeling.



-Needing to poop ended a nap WAY too early.  "Again?" (with tears)

-No one wants to eat what I fixed for them.  Even though they asked for it.  "Again?" (with serious irritation)

-Gales of hysterical laughter just turned into a massive street brawl.  "Again?" (with my everyone's-about-to-get-it voice)

-It took the kitchen counter 48 seconds to become a disaster after I just spent what seems like hours cleaning it.  "Again?" (with disbelief and maybe tears)


-I walked up stairs and forgot what I was doing so burned the butter in my frying pan so badly that the entire house stinks.  "Again?!?!  CRAP!  AGAIN!!!" (with a little fear)  Alright sometimes it's not butter.  Sometimes it's chicken.  Or cabbage.  Never burned cabbage?  Let me tell you, that kind of stench is just a whole different animal.



But my inner voice, Ivy, speaks up here and tells me to cowboy up.  She tells me that those agains are there, but they're hardly the whole story.



-Because every time Liam wanders past me he stops to hug my legs fiercely. Again

-Because three or four times a day Belle lays her head on my shoulder and says with the passion only she can muster, "Mom, you're the BEST!"  Again.

-Because no matter how exciting whatever Dalton's doing is, he stops every couple minutes to dash in and tell me all about it.  Because his enjoyment is heightened if he shares it with me.  Again.

-Because later tonight I get to sit on the couch with my best friend and eat hot wings and cheesy corn while we watch tv and chat about whatever we want.  Again.

-Because later today (or tomorrow if I can make the milk last that long), I will go to the grocery store.  Again.  And once again I will be blessed with a husband whose job provides so generously for us that I could buy all the groceries my family could possibly need.  Again.



I don't want to forget these things.  When I think of my life, which is admittedly fairly repetitive, I want to remember all the good agains that I have coming at me every single day.  

I want to give things their proper weight.  I don't want an irritation to weigh heavily on me while one of those everyday-glorious moment is easily brushed off.  

I will fail at this probably three or four times before dinner tonight.  

But that's ok.  

Because the beauty is that if I can only remember, I can try again.




*****



Linking up to The Gypsy Mama for her weekly Five Minute Friday prompt.   Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.  Then go read other peoples.  

13 comments:

  1. very good reminder, janice :)
    even the good things usually repeat, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. I wish it was as easy to notice their repeats!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! So great to have gratitude in the midst of the drudgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephani. Your blog is so beautiful too! I loved your post.

      Delete
  3. Hi Janice
    I am a bit late visiting from FMF, but I had a nice giggle! Such is life, dear one, and if it doesn't change which it normally does not, it will be the same again and again and again! Like Solomon said that there is truly nothing new under the sun.
    Much love and a blessed week
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! You and I must have similar taste because I often see your sweet comments on other blogs I read. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya. I'm glad I wrote it, so thanks for the encouragement. Writing things here really helps me solidify it in my brain. And my poor brain needs all the help it can get remembering the important stuff these days.

      Delete
  5. Love it, Janice! Thank you for the reminder (and thank you for putting it together all funny and beautiful the way you do.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I acutally thought you would come up with a good post about "again" having to do with practicing violin.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. It is a blessing to me when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Denise! And thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment and make my day...